Alchemy for the Masses

Discussion in 'Nobleman's Wisdom' started by NINEN, Aug 19, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. NINEN

NINEN New Member

ALCHEMY FOR THE MASSES
    For a long time Alchemy has been a secret and occult art which was reserved for the few. No Longer! I bring you the Alchemy system as I know it. This guide has become a monstrous wall of text, and for good reason. Alchemy is very in depth! I will continue to keep this guide updated with new developments in the field. I will not be providing a list of materials and what they do in this thread because I believe individual testing to be an important part of learning this. Furthermore, you should know that all of the values presented here do not necessarily represent actual values. This is because higher levels in certain skills will impact these values significantly (namely Advanced Potion Making). You should always keep this in mind when you see specific values presented in Alchemy formulas.

There is a potion effect in game that I will briefly mention. It is known as the Purify potion. All I will say is that when you devote enough time and energy to this craft, then you will unlock this potions secrets. It is the Magnum Opus of the Alchemist, and the last quest. I will go no further on this topic.

There are also rumors of a new Mana Potion in the game, but like the Purify potion you will need to obtain this one on your own.

INDEX
    1. Character Builds
    2. Types of Materials
    3. Material Effects
    4. Reducing Health
    5. Testing
    6. Starting Recipes for the Budding Alchemist
    7. Creating Kegs
    8. Healing your Mount with Potions

1. Character Builds

First, I will discuss (very briefly) a basic Alchemist build. Feel free to choose a race that suits you. The Alvarin are very fast, so they would have the potential to gather their own resources fairly easy. The Ogmir have a higher Intelligence cap, so this would help in skills.

There are two builds for you to choose from. The Full Chemist is self sufficient and can "do it all". You will notice that I added cooking and riding into this skill build. Riding allows for mobility, which is nice to have as an alchemist. Cooking (to me) is more of a fun side job, since you will most likely already have some material lores already, why not just grab these skills to have some fun cooking up great food.

The Hybrid Chemist is for those who don't want to take up a whole character slot just on an Alchemist. This build takes up less than 400 primary points, and can still make every potion in game!

Additionally, it should be noted that Advanced Potion Making increases the result of potions to such an extreme that it nearly becomes mandatory at end game potion making.

Disclaimer:
    It has been tested and confirmed by others (not me) that you do not need the lores for Multipliers or Neutralizers. However, due to the wide material type variance for bases and volumizers, I would recommend getting (at a minimum) all of the lores under Botany.

1. The "Full Chemist" - Full Alchemist and Alchemy Extractor Build

Recommended Primary Skills
    Alchemy (needed for ... well, to be an Alchemist)
    Potion Making (increases the number of possible ingredients in potions)
    Advanced Potion Making (increases number of ingredients and result of potions)
    Alchemy Contraptions (for Fabricula Expertise to increase extraction yields)
    Botany Contraptions (for Herbologium Expertise to increase extraction yields)
    Ore Extraction Appliances (for Press Operation to increase extraction yields)
    Botany (Lores for everything that grows, very necessary)
    Milling (increases yields of flour and juices with the Press)
    Herbalism (increases extraction yields of herbs and plants)

Additional "optional" Primary Skills
    Advanced Cooking Tools
    Advanced Cooking
    Riding

2. The "Hybrid Chemist" - Base Alchemist Build
    Note: This build is for those that only want to craft potions, and want to do other things with their character. To obtain certain materials, you may need access to an extractor (to obtain Juices for example).

Recommended Primary Skills
    Alchemy (needed for ... well, to be an Alchemist)
    Potion Making (increases the number of possible ingredients in potions)
    Advanced Potion Making (increases number of ingredients and result of potions)
    Botany (Lores for everything that grows, very necessary)

2. Types of Materials
    Next, it becomes readily apparent when studying Alchemy that a certain record keeping methodology must be adhered to for purposes of clarity and understanding. Each material found in Mortal Online is classified as a certain “type”, and the result of the crafted potion will be governed by placing these material types in potions in the right amounts. This means that it is necessary to identify whether a material is a Base, Multiplier, etc. This must be discovered through a rigid testing system. After a new potion is made, there are certain potion “effects” that will appear that are specifically relevant to alchemy.

Before we begin any sort of discussion (no matter how productive or unproductive), let us define the various types of materials and the resulting potion effects that you will see in the Alchemical process.

Base (B)
    Each potion requires a Base material. The Base material is added into potions in multiples of 10, and must accompany at least one Active Ingredient (X). Better Bases will impact the end result according to their native strength. Note: Lores increase the resulting effect of a Base material's properties.

Active Ingredient (X)
    A material of unknown properties accompanying the Base to yield a desired result. Once identified, the Active Ingredient is referred to according to its proper type (ie. as a Base or Volumizer ).

Volumizer (V)
    A Volumizer (known in other guides as "fillers") acts to reduce the amount of Base material necessary in order to achieve the desired resulting PU while retaining its inherent properties; it is expressed either as a percentage of the Base or as a ratio. This will be explained more in depth later.

Neutralizer (N)
    A material that when used in a potion, removes an unwanted effect (such as Direct Poison) in order to achieve a desired result.

Multiplier (M)
    A multiplier (may also be referred to as an "adder") increases the effect of another Active Ingredient (x), such as Direct Heal (DH), Healing over Time (HoT), Direct Poison (DP), or Poison over Time (PoT), in order to increase desired results.

3. Material Effects
    Alcohol (AL)
    You will see this a lot in your potions. Do not be focused too much on this stat, it does very little to effect your potions.

Direct Healing (DH)
    Provides the player with a flat health increasing value according to the strength of the resulting effect. Direct Poison reduces this value.

Healing over Time (HoT)
    Provides the player with a certain health increasing value over a period of time. The length of the period of time that the healing value will continue is directly affected by the Healing Length (HL) effect.

Healing Length (HL)
    The material effect that determines the amount of time in which a Healing over Time (HoT) effect will continue to provide a player with the health increasing value.

Direct Poison (DP)
    Provides the player with a flat health reducing value according to the strength of the resulting effect. This value directly reduces Direct Healing (DH).

Poison over Time (PoT)
    Provides the player with a certain health decreasing value over a period of time. The length of the period of time that the health decreasing value will continue is directly affected by the Poison Length (PL) effect.

Poson Length (PL)
    The material effect that determines the amount of time in which a Poison over Time (PoT) effect will continue to provide a player with the health decreasing value.

A note on HoT, HL, PoT, and PL:
    1. HoT and PoT are both measured in tics that occur about every second for a certain period of time. Therefore, higher values of HoT and PoT will result in higher value (stronger) tics.

2. The period of time that HoT and PoT tics occur for is determined by HL and PL. Therefore, higher values of HoT and PoT will result in more tics.

4. Reducing Health
    Before you begin testing you will need a method of reducing your health by a set amount. Health values in Mortal Online are given in decimals. So, when reducing health we must use something that reduces health by a set amount. Luckily, Mind Blast is such a spell that it will reduce health values by a set number. The only requirement is that you have Ecumenical unlocked and at least zero trained.

5. Testing

When I am testing I always use a resulting 10 Potion Units (PU) in a bottle, which when consumed will exhaust 10 thirst. The formula that I used when I began testing is 100B + 1X = ?HP/10PU. This allows the Alchemist to manipulate the numbers more easily when it comes time to create potion kegs. By no means do you have to use this formula, it just made it easier for me to test with. However, the smaller amount of PU that you test with, the harder it becomes to identify certain properties of certain materials.

Bases:
    All bases consist of a basic formula of 10B+1X=1PU. A potion of 9PU can be acquired by merely modifying this formula. For example, 91-100 material (expressed in the formulas 90B+1X=91 material up to 90B+10X=100 material) and a potion of 10 PU will require 101-110 material (expressed in the formulas 100B+1X=101 material up to 100B+10X=110 material).

A few examples of Direct Healing Base materials: Red Jamburra Juice, Malus Juice, Common Vitis Juice, Salvia, Salvia Carpels, Salvia Oil, Sea Dew, and Sea Dew Leaves.

Volumizers:
    Volumizers will manipulate a formula so that (for example) 90B+11V=10PU will be possible given the correct Active Ingredient (X) while retaining the properties (often DH) of the original Base. We see here that the volumizer in this formula reduced the required base by a factor of 10%, yet still allowed for the resulting PU to remain the same. To identify a volumizer simply use the formula 100B+1V, and if the result is 10PU then it volumized the base material. However, there is the second qualifying factor for a material to be considered a Volumizer. The material must also allow for retention of the properties for a given Base (DH for example). Therefore, if the resulting DH in our original formula was the same as the DH for the pure Base, then (and only then) do we have a volumizer.
    There has been some controversy over volumizers in the past regarding what they are and how they work. The effect that we just covered is really just a result of a multiplier adding volume (at a given ratio for an effect to occur). However, I make a distinction between Multipliers and Volumizers because they work in two distinct ways and allow for ease of formulaic manipulation.

A good example of this is 85 Salvia + 16 Muse Fruit = 18 HP/ 10 PU and 100 Salvia + 1 Salvia = 18HP / 10 PU.

A few examples of good Volumizers that all work at the ratios of 10% to 18.2%: Pirum Juice, Green Jamburra Juice, and Muse Fruit.

Neutralizers:
    There are a few materials that are Neutralizers. These materials negate or reduce the amount of a given effect. For example, some Neutralizers may negate DP, while others may negate PoT. Certain Alchemical Dissolvents neutralize effects for Cooking and Alchemy. For example, the Alchemical Dissolvent Bor removes a certain amount of DP.

Multipliers:
    There are a few materials that when combined with a base serve to magnify its effect and Basileus is one such example. We already know Basileus was not a Volumizer, but is it a Multiplier? If we take the formula; 100 Salvia + 1 Basileus = 18.5 HP / 10 PU we see that it is in fact a Multiplier because as seen previously 100 Salvia + 1 Salvia = 18 HP / 10 PU.

Multipliers also work on a bell curve effect. This means that a material may multiply at 100B+1M=18, then result at 100B+3M=20, then result in 100B+5M=18. Therefore, to increase a DH of a potion more multipliers at varying amounts will be necessary.

A few examples of Multipliers : Basileus, Gold, and Nitre Queen Carcass.

6. Starting Recipes for the Budding Alchemist
    No guide on Alchemy would be complete without a recipe section. I thought I would provide a few simple ones that I came up with.

19HP / 10PU = 55 Salvia + 15 Pirum Juice + 15 Muse Fruit + 15 Green Jamburra Juice + 1 Argus Sponge
    (Improve: Add in 9 more units of material, and change out Salvia for Salvia Carpels or Sea Dew Leaves)

15 HP / 10PU = 30 Common Vitis Juice + 30 Sea Dew + 15 Muse Fruit + 15 palm Fruit + 15 Gr. Jamburra Juice + 1 Basileus
    (Improve: Add in 3 more units of material, and change out Salvia for Salvia Carpels or Sea Dew Leaves)

26 HP / 10PU (yields 11 units) = 60 Sea Dew + 12 Muse Fruit + 12 Palm Fruit + 12 Gr. Jamburra Juice + 3 Reedmace Shoots + 2 Beeswax + 1 Umbilica + 2 Gold + 1 Basileus + 3 Argus Sponge + 1 Phasel Extract + 2 Nitre Queen Carcass + 3 Compact Horn + 5 Pirum Juice
    (Change Base for better results; Salvia Carpels returns a result of 42 HP/10 PU)

7. Creating Kegs
    Creating a keg may be daunting for a new Alchemist. Fear not, I will walk you through the very basics of it. Earlier in this guide I covered basic formulas for a 10pu potion. Well, Small kegs have 1000 units in total. Therefore, multiply your materials by 100 to get the necessary units that you desire for your keg. For example, if my recipe consists of 91B+10V+1M, then the resulting formula for a keg consisting of this potion would require 9100B+1000V+100M.

However, you will still need to take into account an advanced fact about Neutralizers (if you add any to your recipe). Remember that Neutralizers "negate or reduce the amount of a given effect". Well this value of negation or reduction is in the form of a specific numerical value that is inherent in that specific Neutralizer. Therefore, adding 100 of a given Neutralizer may not be necessary to completely remove this undesired effect from your keg. For example, you may only need 75 of it. You will have to do this testing on your own, but at least I have provided you with a starting point.

8. Healing your Mount with Potions

At the moment (well, prior to patch V1.80.00.03), mounts consume the entire quantity of a potion that you feed them. This is the methodology behind players who create mount potions. For example, if you have a 20 unit vial in your inventory that is filled with 40 HP = 10 PU potions, then feeding this to the mount would heal your mount for (40 hp x 20 pu) 80 HP.

DISCLAIMER: I do not claim to be the authority on Alchemy. I am simply posting what I feel to be an effective explanation of how the system works. If any information I have posted is inaccurate please post in this thread and I will correct the erroneous entry.

• Like x 23
    • Informative x 22
    • Winner x 10
    • Useful x 6
    • Friendly x 2
    • Funny x 1
  2. Ichorous

Ichorous The Argent Speedster

Welcome back?

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  3. NINEN

NINEN New Member

Thanks! Much Love Brah!

4. Dsn

Dsn Honored Member

i tought they were called fillers not volumizers but what ever that is the only section of alchemy i wasnt fully trained on.

5. NINEN

NINEN New Member

I use the terminology to more accurately reflect the resulting effect. I will update the guide for increased clarification.

I feel that the term "filler" is an inaccurate representation of what is going on in the Alchemical process. However, this is just the terminology that I choose to utilize. You can use either one.

6. Mausmane

Mausmane Member

so many people are going to hate you for this guide. lol

But i like it.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Funny Funny x 3
  7. NINEN

NINEN New Member

I like how the action word "Volumizer" describes how the ingredient is adding Volume while at the same time maintaining the structural integrity of that which it is adding volume to. I have always felt that the word "filler" is more of a generic and passive term, such as how we "fill" time or "fill" dead space ... etc. Additionally, I feel that using the word "adder" would not only be using inappropriate english, but also lends to confusion when discussing formulas.

Edit: Yes, completely missed what he was talking about. I correct this in a later post. Sorry Hertix bro.

8. NINEN

NINEN New Member

Oh yea, wow, sorry about that man. Yea, I agree that the term "Multiplier" is a misnomer since their effect is not a multiplicative one.

Interesting though, I never heard them called "adders". It is definitely more appropriate though.

9. Prag

Prag Junior Member

Very useful thread - one thing I'm curious of - has your testing found out the usefulness of lores for each ingredient category?

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. NINEN

NINEN New Member

I had all max skills before I even began testing, so I cant comment on this.

However, I would love someone to test this. I would not be surprised if lores were useless.

11. Prag

Prag Junior Member

Ah right, even Holozoa, Skadite, etc?

12. NINEN

NINEN New Member

The testing that I have done in collaboration with others, has led me to believe that lores make little to no difference.

If anyone can "Proove" different, then I will change my opinion.

13. Hertix

Hertix Well-Known Member

I know lores definitely matter for bases, havnt tested for adders yet.

• Useful Useful x 1
  14. Sparhawk13

Sparhawk13 Member

Lore doubles base effects. No effect on multipliers, from my testing.

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Useful Useful x 1
  15. Prag

Prag Junior Member

Still leaves volumizers, neutralizers and potentially poison strength as unknowns

16. Hertix

Hertix Well-Known Member

If you don't mind me asking, whats the highest adder you have found at any ratio?

17. NINEN

NINEN New Member

I feel that the multipliers that are effective at a ratio of 100:1 are ideal, and there are more than a few; Gold, Basileus, Skadite, Compact Horn, Argus Sponge. I have not tested Kyanite, but I believe it to be one of the absolute best. I really do feel that Volumizers are the key to more effective potions though.

I should clean up my spreadsheets and list all the materials by the amount that they Multiply by.

Someone really should compile a list of materials and their effects into a comprehensive list.

• Informative Informative x 1
  18. Hertix

Hertix Well-Known Member

Well I know you volumizer information is severely lacking, but good start. I think the adders and their ideal ratios and amounts is the "progress" made by an alchemists, and giving it away completely dissolves the class.

19. Golgotha

Golgotha Well-Known Member

Very nice, indeed.

Educating the Masses FTW.

20. Sparhawk13

Sparhawk13 Member

Agreed.

And nice job finding the volumizer thing. I actually never discovered that effect, which is probably why my potions were always horribly expensive. I'm pretty sure I was using volumizers, thinking they were multipliers the whole time.

I'm half tempted to go sub again just to experiment with alchemy again. I'll probably wait until they make footsoldiers and mages viable again, though. From what I hear, anyone without a high-end mount is dead in the water. =(

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.