How to make the fight for control of territory attractive?

Discussion in 'Round Table' started by ruben ibarruri, Apr 13, 2018.

1. ruben ibarruri

ruben ibarruri Well-Known Member

One of the things that worries me the most about the game is that the guilds have no interest in fighting for the territory.

The reason is simple. There is no reason to fight for the territory.

Therefore ... what could we do to make the struggle for territorial control interesting and the guilds involved in it?

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  2. Speznat

Speznat Honored Member

bring old mines back, than people have reason to fight in tephra crater 24/7

• Disagree x 2
    • Agree x 2
    • Like x 1
    • Dislike x 1
    • Informative x 1
  3. Roranicus

Roranicus Member

There may be little or no reason to fight for territory, however, in my experience the bigger problem lies in the fact that it doesn't often end up being a "fight." The majority of the time it is rather just repeatedly logging in to kill a naked character or two with fire arrows who just keep trying until they find a 20 minute window when no one in your guild happens to be online and they get your tower down, then you spend 24 hours placing and growing your tower back to tier three, then rinse and repeat.

Since this isn't real life (i.e. a game that is required to play) I think there is likely nothing that could change to make territory worth fighting for that would not be much easier changed to the same result by re-doing the tc tower system.

• Informative Informative x 1
  4. Yeonan

Yeonan Senior Member

Yeah they need to change the way towers work.

Instead of having surrounding TC take damage right away it should maybe drain prominence when a tower falls. Something like 1,000 prom per day.

And if your prominence hits 0, then TC that was in tower range starts taking damage

That way a guild would still want to replace it and defend it, but wont have to attend to it 24 hrs a day.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Speznat

Speznat Honored Member

if theres no point in building stuff than there is no point in sieging stuff.
    maybe sv should make it worth to own that stuff.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Yeonan

Yeonan Senior Member

Well the point in building stuff is to have easy access to TC, vendors, banks etc.

Free placed housing was a big hit to keep ownership and probably shouldn't have been added before a TC patch.

There is plenty of value in building stuff, mines and lumbermills are absolutely awesome, it's just a matter of cost to enter.

100g for a house right next to a spawn/node or 5k to be able to build towers you need to defend 24/7 if you want to build anything near them.

• Agree Agree x 3
  7. Emphyperdrive

Emphyperdrive Member

There should be mine spots around myrland (actual mines not some kind of extracting base) which can be captured with a guild or tc radius. The guild should then be able to construct certain buildings and hire npc miners for a certain cost in pp and gold upkeep.

Tbh SV really needs to rework how NPCs work. NPCs should not be a paper thingy you buy, instead it should be based on example inns which recruit a certain amount of npcs per day/week. The guild can then build certain buildings and put these NPCs to use. Every time you kill a NPC it disappears for ever and needs to be replaced. The more the NPC works/survives the higher its level would be. Kinda like a rts micro management.

Same thing should go for npc towns once a guild captures it. The controlling guild should also be able to put taxes on the npc merchants.

• Like Like x 5
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. Najwalaylah

Najwalaylah Goodwill Embassador

Kinda like exactly what little I distinctly remember of Shadowbane. Which in this case would be a good thing.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. ruben ibarruri

i like very much your ideas. Is best idea i read in this day. lol starvault need make it man!

• Agree Agree x 3
  10. Jatix

Jatix Well-Known Member

If there were some hot spot areas they would be worth fighting over. And it would be a benefit if you have tc and stuff at it. Think the mino caves. If the mino caves are super hotspot you may want mino keep. Or imagine if someone walled the cave off, people would want to siege it.

If we had more places worth fighting over would help tc have meaning. The problem is theres too many good farm spots.

I think maybe nerfing other spots to make the good spots better would help to have hotspots. This wording is bad but hopefully it makes sense.

So for example, if razorbacks and bugs and stuff were worse farm (but not totally useless, so nubs can still farm them) then people would want to mino more. = hotspot. and there could be several of these hotspot areas that are good around the map. so not just minos

the problem right now is there arnt really any good hotspots.

• Agree Agree x 2
  11. VaddaPriest

VaddaPriest Member

take the unseigable towers off the mountains? not rocketscience

put a GK full Red town in the middle of the map and take out useless sausage lake

• Disagree x 1
    • Like Like x 1
  12. Najwalaylah

Najwalaylah Goodwill Embassador

• Disagree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  13. VaddaPriest

VaddaPriest Member

14. Diemauer

Diemauer Senior Member

There is enough hostility, rage, and ambition to fuel a thousand wars for a thousand years on these servers if SV would enable it instead of stifling it.

Conflict needs to be simple, risky, rewarding, and consequential.

The more squeals from the losers the better. It means it's working.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. TornEnvy

TornEnvy New Member

Remove all walls that aren't around keeps and you'll see a Ton more activity in the game. People try to have minimal exposure times, take away the hiding spots and people are out in the open more.

• Agree Agree x 2
  16. ruben ibarruri

It has occurred to me that being a game with so little active population, they could create NPC villages.
    A village would be of woodcutters, another of miners, another of hunters, another of fishermen, of blacksmiths ...
    When a guild came under their control that NCP village, they would receive part of the NPC villa's production as a fee.

For example, if you capture a mining village, the npc will produce 5 stacks of granum for you, or 5 of saburra or 5 of gabore (etc ..)

In this way the guilds would fight to dominate these villages and incorporate them into their domains, in order to receive their tax.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  17. Speznat

Speznat Honored Member

i totally agree, that would give people reason to fight for something.
    SV --> DO IT!

• Agree Agree x 1